Eat like your ancestors! This five day course is focused on eating only wild food. You will be foraging everyday and preparing wild sourced fish and game. This is the time of year when the world bursts back to life. The wild greens are literally shooting out of the ground and this is the time to harvest them, while they are packed with micronutrients and still tender enough to enjoy. The current dietary recommendations for a healthy gut microbiome (affecting both body and mind) is to ingest at least 30 plant species a week. We will aim to have this in just one salad!
Last year both Debs and Ben spent a month living off wild foods as part of the Wild Biome Project. This course is a distillation of what they learned. The main learning outcome was just how tough it is as individuals fitting it in around busy lives. By forming a tribe with our core objective of just foraging and food acquisition, it will be a much more enriching and enjoyable experience. We will spend our days foraging, learning about new edible plants and the habitats in which they live. Afternoons will be spend experimenting and preparing tasty meals. We will also be looking at how phytonutrients (leaf chemicals) can act as medical supplements for the body, where your food literally become your medicine.
Prerequisites – To get the most out of this experience (and not be grumpy!), please either cut out or dramatically reduce your intake of dairy, sugar, caffeine and alcohol for at least a week prior to the course. You will also need a curious mind and adventurous tastebuds. This is not a course for fussy eaters.
- Days: Mon AM – Fri PM (4 Nights)
- Location: Lake District, England
- Food & Accommodation: Fully catered and includes camping fees
- Activity: Advanced Wild Foods & Wilderness Cookery
- Group Size: 6-14 (Av.10)
- Physical Rating: Medium
- 2024 Dates: 29th April – 3rd May
- Wild Food ID
- Freshwater Fish
- Sea Fish
- Nut cheeses
- Game meat
- This course is fully catered throughout – we do our best to source food that is wild, local, organic, seasonal and nutritious. (This negates the need to buy food and bring stoves, fuel and cooking gear – it also maximises your learning time with us).
- We will be sourcing wild fish, game, shellfish, raw honey, fungi and nut flours to feed our tribe, as it is unrealistic and potentially damaging to try to source this from the local environment. To stay within legal parameters we will also purchase duck and quail eggs, as despite being nesting season, it is illegal to collect any wild birds eggs.
- The free loan of specialist equipment.
- Camping fees are included.
- We offer a complimentary pick-up and drop-off service from and to the nearest railway station at set times.