The Trailblazer is a bushcraft weekend course where you will learn the core skills of wilderness survival. You will be given a free bushcraft knife to keep and loaned essential bushcraft gear, like saws, axes, tarps and hammocks. You will be taught how to safely and effectively use these bushcraft tools and camping equipment to enable you to craft, carve, cook and become more at home in the woods, reconnecting with nature.
This is a condensed wilderness survival skills training course where you will learn from some of the UK’s most experienced and respected survival experts. You will learn how to light fire by friction, use bushcraft knives and tools, build and sleep in natural shelters, forage for wild foods, make water safe to drink, track mammals, cook over an open campfire, all this whilst immersing yourself in the wild as you gain confidence, proficiency and learn new wilderness living skills. The Wild Human campfire is like a family hub for kindred spirits who have come together to enjoy, learn and share new skills whilst relaxing with nature. Come and enjoy these fun, informative and packed summer days practicing skills, technique and gain knowledge whilst immersing yourself in beautiful woodlands of the stunning wilds of the Lake District National Park.
- Days: Fri PM – Sun PM (2 Nights)
- Location: Witherslack, Lake District, England
- Food & Accommodation: Fully catered and includes camping fees
- Activity: Basic Bushcraft & Survival Skills
- Group Size: 6-12 (Av.10)
- Physical Rating: Easy
- 2022 Dates: 13-15 May & 2-4 Sept.
- Campcraft and outdoor safety
- Hygiene in the wilderness
- Bushcraft knives – safety and grips
- Bushcraft knife sharpening
- Woodcraft and carving skills
- Types of campfire
- Campfire cookery
- Bushcraft equipment
- Water purification
- Safe use of cutting tools
- Fire lighting techniques
- Friction fire
- Tarp and hammock
- Natural shelter building
- Tree and plant uses
- Trail cookery
- Wildlife tracking
- Reconnect with Nature
- A free bushcraft knife to keep.
- This course is fully catered throughout – we do our best to source food that is wild, local, organic, seasonal and nutritious. (This negates the need to buy food and bring stoves, fuel and cooking gear – it also maximises your learning time with us).
- The free loan of specialist bushcraft camping equipment – hammocks, tarps, laplander saws, fire-steels, billy cans, etc.
- Camping fees are included for two nights. This is a two day-long course with a start time of 19:30 on the Friday evening. This is to give folks time to get to us afterwork and to avoids you having to pay for a B&B, so that we can start teaching straight away on Saturday morning. The course concludes at about 16:00 on the Sunday afternoon.
- We offer a complimentary pick-up and drop-off service from and to the nearest railway station at set times.
“Thank you all for laying on and running such a great courses this weekend. It was SO instructive and inspiring, and one couldn’t ask for better weather in a better location.” – Andy
‘The lovely weather helped, but being somewhere so quiet and learning all those new things was really exciting. I know making fire by friction isn’t exactly ideal in bushcraft terms but it was totally brilliant. I loved that we could camp anywhere, and that provision was made for the ‘non-party’ people to hide away if we wanted to (and I did). I liked that you kept to time but were flexible about what you covered to allow for the group’s interests.’ – Jackie Stanly
“Excellent. Lived up to my hopes and expectations. I have been interested for a long while in increasing and developing my experience, skills and understanding in relation to the natural world, and the weekend felt like the beginning of an exciting new chapter for me!” – Diane Griffiths
cmcbriarty (verified owner) –
Amazing introduction into bush-craft. I have wanted to do something like this for a few years now, but wasn’t sure where to get started. Not too intense of a course for a first-timer, but gives you an intro into all aspects of bushcraft: carving, shelter building, tracking, plant identification, fire making and more. Would definitely recommend and definitely thinking about booking another course with these guys again in the future.
davidtcroft15 (verified owner) –
Absolutely brilliant course which touches on so many different areas of bushcraft. The instructors are really knowledgeable, helpful and most of all patient! They couldn’t do enough and went out of their way to answer all questions that were asked. A real highlight of the course was the community spirit I felt over such a short space of time. I will definitely be going on more courses with the Wild Human team. Thanks for a great weekend!
Just back from this weekend and honestly it couldn’t have been better.
The team are very knowledgeable, but also really friendly and patient.
Those of us on the course all mentioned that we wanted to “reconnect” with nature in some way and this course was a perfect way to do it.
If you’re unsure, don’t be. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
Thanks Ben, Joe and Tim 🙂