The Woodlander; Wilderness bushcraft is the original outdoor pursuits. Wilderness survival skills, tracking, wild food foraging, fungi, ancient technology, carving and greenwood crafts and ultimately going to wild places on expedition are all core disciplines of this immersive subject.
The six day Woodlander gives you fundamental bushcraft skills and a solid foundation in wilderness survival that will give you the confidence to go further for longer, with less reliance on technology. Stepping away from the cocooning bubble of technology and man made equipment we look at utilising what nature provides, from tools and shelter, to fire and food. The essence of the Woodlander is discovering the hidden secrets of the countryside, from knowing how to release the soap and sunblock locked in the leaves of plants and way-finding by the stars above, to gleaning a nutritious free meal and deciphering the mysterious stories of tracks in the mud. It is about learning to see your environment as if thought the eyes of one of your indigenous ancestors.
This course is suitable for the complete beginner and more experienced outdoors folk alike. We assume no knowledge and start from how to safely use a knife. Over the last fifteen years we’ve have had lots of elite level military personnel and seasoned expedition leaders attend this course who’ve said that they learned something new during every lesson. The course is ideal for those who want to increase their competence and knowledge in order to pass on skills to young people, or simply would like to reconnect with nature and spend time with kindred spirits around the camp fire.
- Days: Sun PM – Sat PM (6 Nights)
- Location: Witherslack, Lake District, England
- Food & Accommodation: Fully catered and includes camping fees
- Activity: Basic Bushcraft & Survival Skills
- Group Size: 6-14 (Av.10)
- Physical Rating: Easy
- 2022 Dates: 15-21 May & 4-10 Sept.
- Bushcraft knife safety
- Carving skills
- Sharpening bushcraft knives
- Water Disinfection
- Friction Fire & other ignition techniques
- Wilderness fishing skills
- Trapping & snaring techniques
- Natural shelters
- Jungle shelters
- Star-lore & astral navigation
- Natural bindings & cordage
- Wild food & plant Id
- Tree identification
- Campfire cookery
- A free bushcraft knife to keep.
- This course is fully catered throughout – we do our best to source food that is wild, local, organic, seasonal and nutritious. (This negates the need to buy food and bring stoves, fuel and cooking gear – it also maximises your learning time with us).
- The free loan of specialist bushcraft camping equipment – hammocks, tarps, laplander saws, fire-steels, billy cans, etc.
- Camping fees are included.
- We offer a complimentary pick-up and drop-off service from and to the nearest railway station at set times.