Safe and proficient off-road driving abilities are an essential skill set for research scientists, geographers, field workers, adventure travellers and expedition leader. Having the skills and knowledge to be able to negotiate and cross challenging terrain to transport your team, essential equipment and supplies to remote camps or expedition bases, are integral to many land based wilderness trips, including specific data collection techniques like long range radio telemetry.
The aim of this course is to cover the theoretical information required to safely load a vehicle, to knowing the limits and capabilities of your vehicle. As well as having the knowledge to make daily assessments, how to prepare your vehicle for the terrain ahead and ultimately how to drive skilfully through various off-road environments.
This workshop will give you the ability and confidence to pick the best lines through rough terrain, handle side slopes, deep ruts, inclines, water features and other obstacles.
- Days: Sun – Thurs
- Location: TBC
- Food & Accommodation: Fully catered and includes camping fees
- Activity: Off Road driving skills
- Group Size: 8
- Physical Rating: Med
- 2023 Dates: TBC
- Preparing for off road driving
- Vehicle loading & weight distribution
- Assessing complex routes
- Understanding differentials & low range
- Daily vehicle checks for expedition
- Understanding transmission wind-up
- Environmental risk assessments
- Hazard analysis
- Principles of off road driving
- Side slopes, inclines & declines
- Ridges & cross-axles
- Traversing deep ruts
- Failed hill climbs
- Wading – preparation & execution
- Self-recovery techniques
- This course is fully catered throughout.
- It includes camping fees and any specialist equipment.
- We offer a complimentary pick-up and drop-off service from and to the nearest railway station at set times.